For boaters and water sports enthusiasts who want to run with the best, the rugged Garmin GPSMAP 78s features crisp colour mapping, high-sensitivity receiver, new moulded rubber side grips, plus a microSD™ card slot for loading additional maps. And it floats!
GPSMAP 78s comes with built-in worldwide basemap, so you can navigate anywhere with ease. And, like the rest of the 78-series, both models are IPX7 waterproof and even floats in water. In addition to the standard feature set on the GPSMAP 78, the 78s version adds a 3-axis compass, a barometric altimeter and a world wide shaded relief basemap. The 78s also offers wireless route and waypoint sharing with other compatible units.
Keep Your Fix
With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver and HotFix™ satellite prediction, GPSMAP 78s locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you’re in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on GPSMAP 78s to help you find your way when you need it the most.
Adding more maps is easy with Garmin's wide array of detailed marine, topographic and road maps, available on microSD card. Conveniently plug in BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards for a great day on the water or City Navigator NT® map data for turn-by-turn routing on roads (see maps tab for compatible maps). The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet. GPSMAP 78s also supports BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (subscription required), that lets you download satellite images to your device and integrate them with your maps. In addition, the 78s is compatible with Custom Maps, free software that transforms paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps for your device.
You've been busy exploring and now you want to store and analyse your activities. With a simple connection to your computer and to the Internet, you can get a detailed analysis of your activities and send tracks to your outdoor device using Garmin Connect™. This one-stop site offers an activity table and allows you to view your activities on a map using Google™ Earth. Explore other routes uploaded by millions of Garmin Connect users and share your experiences on Twitter® and Facebook®. Getting started is easy, so get out there, explore, and share.
GPSMAP 78s supports geocaching GPX files for downloading geocaches and details straight to your unit. By going paperless, you're not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency. GPSMAP 78s stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions, which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs! Simply upload the GPX file to your unit and start hunting for caches. Slim and lightweight, 78s is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.
GPSMAP 78s: Colourful maps, durable design and buoyant — everything a mariner needs.
Garmin GPSMAP 78 Specifcations
Physical & Performance
- Physical dimensions: 6.6 x 15.2 x 3.0 cm
- Display size, WxH: 4.1 x 5.6 cm; 6.6 cm diag
- Display resolution, WxH: 160 x 240 pixels
- Display type: transflective, 65-K color TFT
- Weight: 218.3 g with batteries
- Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
- Battery life: 20 hours
- Water rating: IPX7
- High-sensitivity receiver: Yes
- Interface: high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
- Barometric altimeter: Yes
- Electronic compass: Yes (tilt-compensated 3-axis)
- Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): Yes
- Floats: Yes
Maps & Memory
- Basemap: Yes
- Ability to add maps: Yes
- Built-in memory: 1.7 GB
- Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)
- Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): Yes
- Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000
- Routes: 200
- Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks
- Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): Yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)
- Geocaching-friendly: Yes (Paperless)
- Custom maps compatible: Yes
- Hunt/fish calendar: Yes
- Sun and moon information: Yes
- Tide tables: Yes
- Area calculation: Yes
- Picture viewer: Yes
- Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data): Yes
In the Box - Garmin GPSMAP 78s Handheld GPS
- GPSMAP 78s
- Wrist strap
- USB cable
- Quick start manual